Saturday, August 21, 2010
Too cool for school...wait I guess I'm not
So another year has begun. This is my fifth year teaching first grade at Iron Springs Elementary. After this year I will get a pin from the district for five years of service and then it will all have been worth it. I hope you can hear my sarcasm. I really am excited about this new school year. Last February I started entertaining the idea of leaving the school for a stay at home teaching job. I interviewed and was offered the job. Because I was actually thinking I was going to take it, when I left the school on the last day in May I said goodbye to my classroom. I thought the next time I see this place I will be packing up my things. Because the school was built when I was hired I am the ONLY person to ever teach in my room. I have taught over a hundred kids how to read and write in that room. I know you are thinking this is getting mushy but I SERIOUSLY started to panic. I want to be at home with my kids. I want to be the one to drop McKoy off at preschool and rock Mataya to sleep. But for some reason my body decided to react to stress regarding Mataya's health and the decision to leave my secure job, for something I might hate. I freaked out basically and had to seek professional help. (Those of you reading this that might have your child in my class- breathe easy. I am totally back to normal now. Well as normal as I'll ever be.) Anyway, after MUCH debate, and when I say MUCH, I mean months of craziness, I decided to stay at the school. I looked into the stay at home thing and decided it wasn't for me. Everything I hate about teaching such as travelling for professional development, computer work, grades, graphs, charts, emails, is what the stay at home thing is all about. It's like computer management for students which is not me. And they work in the summers which is against my morals. I have a strict no summer working rule. I leave my school in May and don't return until August. I know there are teachers out there that are way dedicated in putting in extra hours but not me. (Now people will probably pull their kids out of my class.)Plus I don't know what kind of mom I would be if I was trying to work an 8 hour day and trying to give my kids attention. I love being in the classroom and getting to know my students so well, we cry when we leave each other. (Sometimes tears of joy-JK I'm being so sarcastic today) Anyway, my wonderful neighbor that does the stay at home job thing was so great to help me get the job and then I turned around, and turned it down. What a crazy I am! But I know I made the right decision for me. The reason I know is because I am able to finally sleep at night without running to the bathroom constantly with diarrhea. Sorry, too much information as usual. I think this year will be soooo great. My sister is tending my kids for me which is another story. But I couldn't be happier because my kids love her and she loves them. Mataya seems to be doing well health wise and so I must say this year will be great! You are probably thinking I must be taking some kind of medication to be this positive about life, but I'm not! It took a while, but now I know if I have to work to provide for my family, it's going to be in the classroom. Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay! I quit my job at the end of June and while I am grateful for the opportunity, i can say 100 percent, it is not all its cracked up to be. Really. Sometimes being a working mom makes you the mom you want to be to your kids. Sometimes I dont shower for a week. What kid wants a mom like that? Tatum is worried. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteKenzie, you are so funny and so honest, I love it! Good for you and Good Luck.
ReplyDeleteUm. i pretty much think that you should stay at home so you can play with me when i'm here. Iron Springs can suck it as far as i'm concerned. J/k, but really they can.I miss you during the school year. just tell kody to travel back in time and invent the ipod and then you will be super rich and then we can go to europe and marry christian slater and die
ReplyDeletep.s. good luck with the diarrhea!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you decided to come back, you have to stay until you have survived Ellie and then you have my permission to leave. We loved having you as Christians teacher last year, thanks for putting up with him! You are the best!
ReplyDeleteOh Kenzie, what we go through to be the very best for our kids and family. I miss you so much!! I love reading about your thoughts. Call me if you ever need words of encouragement. I am in the same boat you are and most of the time I feel like I'm sinking. LOL! Have fun at school. It sounds like you made the best choice for you and that is what counts.
ReplyDeleteXOXO Melanie
Hi Kenzie! After reading your explanation I can see why you wanted to stay with the Iron County School District....YOU WANTED THE FIVE YEAR PIN!! LOL! All jokes aside....I'm so glad things are working out for you now. And to have Kim watch your kids has got to be so perfect! I hope your school year has gotten off to a great start! Keep in touch!
ReplyDeleteYou would make an awesome teacher. And no you guys aren't my drunk neighbors- they live directly behind your old house. Talk about entertainment, come on over if you ever need any.
ReplyDeleteOh I love reading your posts so much!! I definitely get my laughs for the day:) I'm glad you did what you felt was right..I'm sure my mom would miss ya if you weren't there! Hope you are doing well! Can we please REALLY try to get together at Christmas?? It's been way to long!
ReplyDelete