Wednesday, July 28, 2010

McKoy is 5!

Koy's 5th birthday party in Janet and Kary's backyard. Having fun! My little guy on his big day! All the kids McKoy 7 months- Kody is showing a little leg. Woo woo!
Koy 7 months- He fell asleep waiting for lunch.
Koy boy 7 months
Koy and papa Kary carving pumpkins. Koy is 3 months.
Koy at 4 months
My mom and Koy have the same bed head! This is at my mom's cabin in Pinto.
Koy 4 weeks
Koy at 4 weeks old
OK my little man is no longer that little! He turned 5 on July 22nd! I can't believe how time flies! McKoy has been our little buddy for so long now it's impossible to remember life without him. He really is such a special kid. Here is how he came to be:)
I became pregnant after a couple of years of marriage and I was surprised and terrified. I was also so excited! You know how it goes, your first pregnancy is just so exciting. I remember Kody and I were on our way to a Redmen football game and we stopped at a yard sale because they were selling baby stuff. We didn't buy anything because we had only known we were pregnant for a short time but we were so happy. My neighbor and friend Malesha brought us her bassinet to use and my grandma made our baby booties and a little sweater. We were so excited! ...
Then I lost the baby.
I was devastated of course. I was consumed by my grief and couldn't think that I could ever get over it. But time passed-very little time- and I was pregnant again. This time I wasn't quite as excited because fear had taken over and I was afraid of another loss. But after a scare at Christmas time things went pretty well with my pregnancy.
I got really fat and when I say really fat, I mean really fat! It was my first lasting pregnancy, give me a break! I was working and in the Elementary block at SUU. We found out we were having a boy and Kody was so excited. Some dads are mature and say that they don't care what the sex of the baby is. Kody is not. He is anything but mature and he wanted a boy sooooo bad. He made it known that he MUST have a son. We did the prenatal class at the hospital with my sister who was also pregnant with a boy and my friends Natalie Persons and Rachel Urie. So summer came and we were living in Enoch. My due date was July 30th 2005. We took long walks every night together with our two dogs. As my due date got close I decided I wanted the baby out. I tried everything to have him early (Clearly I've learned my lesson about early babies but at the time I was stupid OK) When I say I tried everything I mean EVERYTHING. Don't make me get gross because this is not that kind of blog. I even drank Castor Oil and clogged my in laws master bathroom toilet. Not a pretty picture. Anyway, I had my membranes stripped on July 20th which is Kason, my brother in laws bday. The doc said if the stripping works then I would have the babe within 24 hours.
Hold on let me back up. The reason the doc said he would strip my membranes early was because I was going to be student teaching in the fall and I wanted to have time to spend with the baby before I had to go back.
So the next day, after the stripping, Thursday the 21st I woke up with mild contractions.
I called in to work (I was working at the Justice Court in those days. Good times)
At about 11:00 am I decided I should go to the hospital. Let me explain it was my first baby and I thought I was in serious labor. So of course they sent me home after the nurse nearly killed me stripping them AGAIN.
So that night I was having more contractions and decided to go back to the hospital. What do you think happened? You guessed it, they sent me home AGAIN. I was only at a 3 and they gave me a Lortab and some Ambien and said get some sleep. How in the crap could I sleep? I was in so much pain. So I went home and labored there. I took the meds but they didn't help. I was hurting and couldn't sleep. My neighbors Malesha Hunter and Amy Garfield came to the door to see if I'd had the baby and I heard Kody tell them they sent me home...twice! I was so embarrassed! I remember laying on the couch writing down the times of my contractions on a book with a baby on the cover. The baby had tons of hair and I remember asking Heavenly Father for some hair on my baby's head. At about 4:00AM on July 22nd I couldn't wait any longer. Kody drove me to the hospital. When we were walking in Dr. Sanders was walking in too and he was my doctor. I remember feeling bad for him because it was so early in the morning, and then I felt bad for myself because I was in so much pain. (PS I broke up with Doctor Sanders after I had McKoy. That is a different story) When we got inside I begged them to let me stay. They checked me and I was at a 5! Yay! They let me stay! After I got my drugs and was resting peacefully I began to get some serious visitors. My mom and sister Kim, my mother and father in law, my sister in law Bresha, my aunt Jeanette and cousin Tayzha, my aunt JoAnna, my sister Erin, my grandma and grandpa Rosenberg, my grandma Taylor, my step mom Shelley (my dad was in Chicago), my little brother and sister, my best friend Nicole and her mom Linda, our friends Shad and Melanie Rollo, and possibly many others came and were standing right outside my door during the birth! Luckily the hospital is very nice and allowed all those people to line the hallway. My sister Kim filmed the birth and my mom, Kody's mom and his sister Bresha were all present during the birth. Of course when it came time to film Kody had forgotten to charge our camera battery! Don't worry he only had 9 months to charge that thing and a full 24 hours of contractions but he still managed to forget.
Can you sense a little frustration?
Deep breath
So our kind friends Shad and Mel had their video camera with a battery they let us borrow.
I had it in my head that I would only have to push for 15 minutes because I had been present at my nephews birth 20 days earlier and my sister only pushed that long. However, McKoy wasn't quite so fast. I don't know how long I pushed but it was longer than 20 minutes. So I am pushing along and Kody is holding my very epidural numbed leg when he suddenly feels sick. The people in the hall hear the nurse, Caralee Lions say are you OK?
Of course they think she is talking to me, the one in labor!
But no, she is talking to Kody who had become light headed after watching the baby crown!
What a wimp!
So they rush out and bring him a little juice box and a chair to sit in.
When he sees his little juicy wuicy and his chair he totally drops my leg!
Which of course slams down on the bed because I have no control!
Luckily my mom steps in and holds my leg while Kody rests.
Kody manages to get himself together long enough to actually see our son born and take his first breath. He cut the cord which was a miracle because he doesn't do well with human blood.
He can gut and skin a deer but anything human and it is all over!
We had talked about naming the babe McKai but changed it to McKoy at the end.
Our sweet baby was born 7lbs 7oz 20 inches long with the name McKoy Kary Smith. Kary is Kody's dad's name.
And guess what?
He got the hair I had asked for!
Tons of it! He looked like a monkey!
I decided to go home after one night even though my sister recommended staying for 2. My mom stayed the first 2 nights at our house with us. That first night I regretted my decision to come home because NOTHING can prepare you for the first night. Even though my mom was helping, I still had to nurse the little guy and that meant ZERO sleep. (I learned my lesson though. After having Mataya I stayed at the hospital for 15 nights!)
Janet, Kody's mom stayed on the third night and helped.
When I went to watch McKoy's birth video for the first time I discovered that Kody had actually recorded over half of the birth with McKoy's first bath! What is with this guy? He was quite the rookie I tell you!
I was able to stay home with him after student teaching for the first year of his life.
It was truly the time of my life.
He was really an amazing baby!
He slept through the night at 2 weeks old! Really! If you don't believe me you can come read my journal. (I kept a journal back then) Now of course he didn't sleep through the night every night that young, but he really was a great sleeper.
He started walking at 10 months old and started climbing out of his crib shortly after. I used to lock him in his room and twist the light bulb so he couldn't turn on the light because he would crawl out of the crib and turn on the light in the middle of the night! What a little stinker!
He no longer does that of course and sleeps in a big boy bed in our new house.
He makes me laugh every day. He is such a sweetheart!
He LOVES babies!
He is sooo cute with Mataya. He talks to her in a high pitched voice like I do. It is adorable.
He is super smart! He remembers everything I say. Which is horrible.
He loves to sleep on the tramp with his dad or play swords and guys. Kody is so fun with him and they play endlessly together.
He really is my best little buddy!
I prayed so hard to get him here safely.
Thank you McKoy for teaching me how to be a mommy!
I love you more than you'll ever understand.
Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

  1. What a great post! He sure is a cute boy. Does this mean he is going to be in kindergarten? I have a similar story about the video of Ashton's birth, but I'm trying really hard to forgive Jason :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories always make me laugh so hard and they also remind me how strong of a person you are! You are amazing. And what is it about husbands anyway, we can grow a person and they can't remember to charge the camera. It reassures me that my husband isn't the only one who does stuff like that. Love McKoys hair when he was born, so stinkin cute. Happy belated McKoy, looks like it was a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday McKoy! I can't believe it's been 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember every one of those moments like it was yesterday...CRAZY!! Cute little man. :)

    XOXO Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kenzie,

    Your story cracked me up! I love how you tell how you really felt!!! What a fun blog you have and I love your kids. They are darling, especially McKoy!! Primary is fun when he's there. -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.... i cant believe those 5 years have gone by so quickly! I wish I would have seen you last night.... but I needed a break really bad! It was fun to catch up a few months ago... hope it's not too long before it happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pic of all the kids, my boy is at the gate. Um They had a lot of fun & thanks for inviting us to swim again after the party. I thought we would never be welcomed back to the Smith's after that party hehehehe love ya!

    ReplyDelete