Friday, April 30, 2010

Surgery Day

I am sitting at Primary Children's in Mataya's room. She is in and out of sleep. Kody is sleeping on the little cot in here. We drove up to Salt Lake last night and stayed at Kody's aunt's house. We got up at 3:00AM to feed Mataya because she could drink breast milk up until 3:30. Then my alarm went off at 4:30. We had to leave the house by 5:30 to get to the hospital by 6:00. When we got here they got us all checked in. Mataya got put in these little tiny scrubs. They are soooo cute. She weighed in at 12 lbs 7 oz. Then they started to prep her for surgery. They asked when she last ate and I told them 3:00am. They asked if it was formula and I said no that is was breast milk. Then I told them that I fortify my breast milk with a teaspoon of formula. Well apparently babies cannot drink formula past midnight the night before surgery. So because her breast milk had 1 teaspoon of formula in it, they had to push the surgery back an hour. That sucked because she was already hungry. So they took her into surgery at about 9:00ish. They said it would be about 3 hours. After about an hour and a half the doctor paged us. He came out of surgery and explained He had found that she had an additional defect that he went ahead and fixed. He put a stainless steel cork screw like thing into one of her holes in her heart. Then he put some other device into the other part where there was a defect. (If I explain it more I will get the facts wrong.) So they went back into surgery after explaining what they were doing. Anyway now her legs are bound together and she can't move for 6 hours. She is in and out of sleep right now. I will give a better update later.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update...I've been thinking about you guys. Shad & I have decided to do our fast for her tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you! Love ya!
    XOXO Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you updated. We will all keep Mataya in our prayers. Hurry home, Halle wants a playdate! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that things are going well with the surgery. I'm sure it is so hard to see your little girl like that. We hope that everything will continue to go well. We will keep all of you in our prayers, love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete