Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hospital visit update

So we took Mataya up to Primary Children's on Monday for her sedated echocardiogram. The appointment went really well. They chose not to do surgery on her heart yet. They are going to put her on some medication to see if she can gain more weight. The meds are supposed to help her lungs work more efficiently so she doesn't burn as many calories just eating and breathing. It is not going to fix the holes in her heart. It is more like a band aide. In January we will see the cardiologist again and she will re-evaluate the situation. We thought one of the holes had closed up after she was born, but it turns out there are still 3 holes. And I thought she was 11 pounds because that is what they told me down at Dixie. They didn't have a scale for babies in the cardiology department so they had me hold her and stand on the scale, and then stand on it without her, to get her weight. (Obviously not very accurate)I guess her weight is 9 pounds 9 ounces:( I swear I feed her tons! Anyway I have to mix my breast milk with formula when I am giving her the bottle to try and fatten her up. This is like Creatine for babies. I'll let you know if it works.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Mataya is such a little fighter! We will pray for good news in January! Merry Christmas. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you all Monday - glad things went good. 9 pounds is so tiny, hope the meds work for at least the weight issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that they are going to wait! What a little doll. I can't believe she only weighs 9 pounds, give her some of my cream.Reese is HUGE compared to your little pretty girl. It was GREAT to see you the other night, I wish I saw you more often. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and thanks for updating!!! love ya

    ReplyDelete